American blogger Sandy Ploy and chef Jeff Reinke shared a love of baking with unusual ingredients which led to to a bake-off and the birth of IronCupcake. Luckily for us, a more local IronCupcake:Leeds began in September 2009 and now attracts up to 20 Bakers and 50 judges every month. I went along to my first IronCupcake:Leeds event as the theme was MUSIC!
Now don’t be put off if you can’t/won’t bake as the event is open to all whether you want to enter the competition as a baker, or rock up and just judge the entrants hard work on the day. Easy right? NO! I happily scoffed my way through 9 tasting quarters of cupcakes, but rating them against each other proved quite difficult. Luckily Charlotte who runs the event has broken the scoring down into categories for taste, appearance, theme, baker’s panel choice and overall best in show which helped immensely. The winners get prizes too.
So here are the photos of the 9 entrants, plus Charlotte’s cupcakes for the baker’s corner. The results are as follows:
- Best in Show: Ruth’s ‘Zombie’ by the (white chocolate) Cranberries (White chocolate mud cupcakes with brains (cranberries), topped with white chocolate ganache)
- Bakers Panel winner: Jess’ Sticky Toffee Symphony (Sticky toffee sponge with a Dulce de Leche topping and popping candy that sings)
- Taste winner: Jennifer’s Moulin Rouge cupcakes (Chocolate cupcakes with a ganache and raspberry centre, topped with raspberry buttercream)
- Appearance winner: Jessie’s 50s Rock n Roll Coke Floats (Traditional cola-cake with vanilla ice cream flavoured icing)
- Theme winner: Donna’s Red Hot Chilli Peppers (Chocolate, courgette and chilli cupcakes with lime cream cheese frosting)
As the theme was music, the cakes wrote the playlist for me – and here is the soundtrack to the event below.
- The Kinks – Lola
- The Rolling Stones – Brown Sugar
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – Give It Away
- C.G. Keyz – Chocolate Salty Balls
- Jose Feliciano – El Tango De Roxanne
- Elvis Presley – Jailhouse Rock
- DJ Shadow – Backstage Girl
- The Cranberries – Zombie
- Prince & The Revolution – Purple Rain
- The Verve – Bitter Sweet Symphony
The next IronCupcake:Leeds is on Sunday 13 October at 6pm, upstairs at The Adelphi Pub. It’s a lovely way to spend a Sunday evening and as a judge you’ll be stuffed full of cakey goodness for just a fiver.