Place and Memory – 8 Artists, One City shares personal and collective memories, they examine the hidden and overlooked corners of the city, finding beauty in unexpected places. Exploring graveyards, wastelands, woodlands, and a hospital’s echoing corridors, they have created drawings, installations, photographs, video, poetry, sculpture, and sound.
Part of the Love Arts Festival it’s on at Holy Trinity Church from 12- 19 October every day except Sunday from 10am til 3pm. Free admission.
Here are each of the contributing artists song choices – all of which say something to them about Leeds – either as a place itself, an occasion, how living here makes them feel or maybe it’s just their favourite song – listen to the tunes, come on down to the exhibition and then decide for yourself….
- Mezzanine – Massive Attack – @donna_bleu
- NagNag Nag – Cabaret Voltaire – @ladylugosi and @juditbodor4
- Letters to you – Finch – @LornaJohnstone
- Hound Dog – Big Mama Thornton – @emmaZbolland
- Leeds United – Amanda Palmer – @sarsarmagumba
- Just Like Heaven – The Cure – @wiremoon
- Changes – David Bowie – @NigelStone2
- Suffer Little Children – The Smiths – @thomberodgers
- Bandages – Hot Hot Heat – @CharysSays
- You Got The Love – The Source ft Candi Staton – @lilyloveslamps
Find out more about the Place and Memory project on the blog placeandmemoryblog.wordpress.com and on twitter @_place_memory. Keep up to date with the Love Arts Festival events by following @loveartsleeds.