Leeds based music-videographers Anthologies and record label-promoters Hide & Seek have once again got together to spread some festive cheer and help raise much needed funds for the fantastic local homeless charity Simon on the Streets.
Last year they produced a series of festive videos, and this year there’s a compilation album entitled This Christmas with Anthologies and Hide & Seek available for download in exchange for a donation. The album features some of the finest musicians from Leeds’ music scene performing their versions of classic Christmas songs, and even an original song, written specially for the project.
It’s a great mix of music – two of my favourites are Dan Beesley & The S.S.S.S.S’ version of Mistletoe and Wine – making Cliff sound cool, and the crazy ‘Zat You, Santa Claus?’ by Get Machine, Destroy! If only all Christmas compilations sounded like this!
Here’s a lovely video of Joseph & David (now known as Dancing Years) singing their version of Silent Night.
Everyone who donates to the project via the link below will automatically receive a link to download the compilation which brings together recordings from 15 of the bands involved. You will also be entered into a raffle with some great prizes from places like Jumbo Records and West Yorkshire Playhouse. There is no minimum donation, but as it’s for a very worthy cause, please give generously. They aim to beat last year’s total of £750 so let’s help to get them there.
‘This Christmas’ Compilation Tracklistings:
- Backyards – Bleak Midwinter
- Dan Beesley & The S.S.S.S.S – Mistletoe and Wine
- Dancing Years – Silent Night
- Ellen & the Escapades – Little Saint Nick
- Family Scraps (Hookworms’ MJ) – Ourselves
- Fossil Collective – The Power of Love
- Get Machine, Destroy! – Zat You, Santa Claus?
- Honour Before Glory & Sam Airey – Wonderful Christmastime
- Hope & Social – God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman
- Post War Glamour Girls – The Second Stave
- Stalking Horse – Morning Christmas
- Swimming Lessons – All Alone On Christmas
- The Birthday Kiss – Sentimental Christmastime
- These Men – How Come You’re Only Nice To Me At Christmas
- Witch Hunt – Little Drummer Boy
The project will culminate in a very special live gig at The Brudenell Social Club on Thursday 13 December. Headlined by Dan Beesley & The SSSSS, it will also feature These Men, Grant K. Fennell, and Backyards, all playing sets to fill you with the Christmas spirit.
Advance tickets are available for just £4 from Crash & Jumbo Records. The Facebook event page is here. All proceeds go to the charity and there will be raffle prizes given out on the night too.
To donate and download your album go to: www.JustGiving.com/AnthologiesChristmas2012
You can find out more about Simon on the Streets on their website www.simononthestreets.co.uk