Well, an age-old rule of mine goes as follows: Start ’em with a classic and end ’em with one too. And nowhere is this more evident than in the playlist I’ve made for you folks today!
While we err on the side of alternative – and take in a couple of rap acts to see us through – these were the songs that fast made themselves prominent in my head when I thought ‘ballet’. Strange, but true. Be it just for a line (‘to cut off the legs of every ballerina’), a theme (such as liking that way she moves), or the delicate strum of a harp that I feel truly matches the Porcelain-like grace and statuesque qualities of the dance, each song is chosen to showcase various aspects of the word, the dance, the art form itself. Enjoy!
- Prokofiev – Dance of the Knights
- The Jezebels – A Little Piece
- Lykke Li – Dance Dance Dance
- Bloc Party – Where is Home?
- Outkast – The Way You Move
- Jason Mraz – A Beautiful Mess
- Kanye West – Devil in a New Dress
- Joanna Newsom – ’81
- Moby – Porcelain
- Tchaikovsky – Swan Lake