It’s clear that monkeys, chimps and other apes bring us joy, especially when dressed up as famous people or simply eating an ice-cream. For example, If you’re feeling down, my recommendation is to watch Rolf Harris eefing and eifing to a baby chimp.
So what could be more joyful than ten monkey songs? (It’s either that or ten Rolf Harris songs, which may have to wait for another day…)
Took Problem Chimp To Ideal Home Show is possibly my favourite song title ever, and it’s the main reason this playlist came about.
I used Another Postcard in the letter writing playlist too. But it’s a song about receiving lots (lots!) of postcards with chimps on – what isn’t there to like about that? A friend sent me a Mr Germany chimp postcard because of this song.
I first heard Monkey 23 on All Watched Over By Machines Of Loving Grace, as the soundtrack to Bill Clinton’s political career and love life. I wish more TV programmes would list the songs they use as background music, because sometimes you find stuff you really like there.
The ska version of Everybody Has Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey is really quite jolly.
Parry Gripp’s You’re A Monkey and Chimpanzee Riding A Segway are both songs I found on YouTube with accompanying videos. Sadly a third song from him, Baby Monkey (Going Backwards On A Pig), didn’t make the list, but you’re better off watching the video for that one anyway.
And yes, The Funky Gibbon and The Monkees. I went there.
- You’re A Monkey – Parry Gripp
- Took Problem Chimp To Ideal Home Show – Half Man Half Biscuit
- Monkey Wrench – Foo Fighters
- Another Postcard – Barenaked Ladies
- Monkey 23 – The Kills
- Monkey Gone To Heaven – The Pixies
- Everybody Has Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey – The Beatles / Bombskare
- The Funky Gibbon – The Goodies
- Chimpanzee Riding A Segway – Parry Gripp
- Theme From The Monkees – The Monkees