This playlist was born from a nudge; a splash of inspiration from the Playlist itself. Why not build a playlist based around my blog (www.northernwrites.co.uk) it said. OK I said. Not thinking I would immediately follow it through. But then. Why shouldn’t I?
So here it is. Songs linked to the last 10 posts on my blog as of the 11th February. Some are tenuous – be it an album title, part of a t-shirt brand or the contents of a drink. But they are songs I am familiar with. What I’m not familiar with, and setting this playlist up is yet another leap – is opening up my life to others. Be they friends, strangers – compilers of forms. I keep most things to myself. But this year, as the blog will show – is all about the freedom born from opening up. Opening up my life, and laying it bare.
1) Simple Minds – I Travel (From the album “Empires and Dance” and linked to a post about Empires)
2) Bee Gees – Jive Talkin’ (Linked to a Freshjive t-shirt post – the t-shirt is now dead)
3) Massive Attack – Protection (A post about offering my daughter protection)
4) Henri Mancini – The Pink Panther Theme (From the album The Days of Wine and Roses – a post about Italian Pink Sparkling Wine)
5) Tom Tom Club – Wordy Rappinghood (A post about words)
6) Gene Kelly – I got Rhythm (A post about wanting to dance)
7) The Jam – News of the World (A post about not wanting to read everything people link in tweets)
8) Taxi – Campari Soda (A post about a cocktail – a Negroni)
9) Underworld – Born Slippy Nuxx (A post about an Italian Lager – shouting optional)
10) (Spotify) Sugababes – Freak like me (Different Gear Remix) (A post about friends)
10) (Youtube) Gary Newman – Are friends electric? (Sample of which is used in the Sugababes track – which isn’t on YouTube – surprisingly)