This playlist starts with the original version of Stir it UP – written by Marley in 1967 for his wife Rita. The playlist ends with Marley singing STIR IT UP live at Leeds Poly on November 23rd 1973. The Wailers split in 1974. The rest of the playlist is a selection of earlier recordings from the early 60’s ska and rocksteady era. All recorded well before Marley became famous outside of Jamaica. Marley died in 1981.
Bob Marley is such an iconic figure I still find it hard to get my head around the fact that he played a gig in Leeds. I would love to speak with anyone who went to this gig. Hopefully #leedsplaylist can bring us together. (Please do get in touch!)
On the 17th March we are launching STIR IT UP at Temple Works from 8pm til late. It’s a night of vintage and classic Jamaican reggae music complemented by Indian Street Food from Manjit’s Kitchen. We will be playing these tunes and many more on vinyl through a vintage sound system. Tickets are £5 and are available from Jumbo Records. You can even win tickets over on facebook!
- Stir It Up – The Wailers (rocksteady version)
- Put In On – The Wailers
- One Love – The Wailing Wailers
- Simmer Down – Bob Marley
- Do You Still Love Me – Bob Marley
- Guava Jelly – Bob Marley and The Wailers (alternate version)
- Who Feels It Knows It – The Wailing Wailers
- Bend Down Low – Bob Marley and The Wailers
- Do It Twice – Bob Marley
- Stir It Up – Bob Marley & The Wailers (Live at Leeds Poly 1973)